[pvrusb2] PVRUSB2 on Feisty Fawn resetting continuously

Pantelis pakt223 at freemail.gr
Thu Jan 25 02:17:02 CST 2007

Στις Πέμπτη 25 Ιανουάριος 2007 06:32, ο/η Matt Nyerges έγραψε:
> I am attempting to see if my peripherals will work with Ubuntu before I
> wipe windows clean out of my life, one of which is a pvrusb2.
>
> My setup is Windows XP with VM Ware workstation 5.0 and an Ubuntu Feisty
> Fawn installation on a virtual machine.  My laptop is a Sony GRV680.

A virtual machine is hardly a good way to test if hardware will work. If you
can find or build a LiveCD with the same kernel/modules you are expecting to
have in your final system, that will give you a *much* better indication of
whether things will work to your satisfaction.

> This may have to do with how windows, the USB bus, the VMWare virtual
> machine and Ubuntu communicate, but I wanted to check here first.
>
> Has anyone tried this setup, or ran into similar problems?

I have tried qemu and AFAIK mike has tried vmware, but in the other direction,
i.e., we used a virtual machine hosted on linux to try run windows (to observe
some things the windows driver does).

In short: It didn 't work (at least with the recent versions, mike had got it
to work with an ancient version of vmware IIRC).

Btw, if your kernel will be 2.6.20, the hardware will most probably work,
only the radio support could be missing (depending on how "patched" ubuntu
kernel is ;-). For that you will need to get and compile the standalone
version, or wait for something like 2.6.21.

There are some other convenience fixes in the standalone version as well
(most are radio-related), so this is probably the recommended version at the
moment.

hope this helps,
-Pantelis