[pvrusb2] PVRUSB2 on Feisty Fawn resetting continuously

Matt Nyerges mnyerges at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 22:32:55 CST 2007

I am attempting to see if my peripherals will work with Ubuntu before I wipe
windows clean out of my life, one of which is a pvrusb2.

My setup is Windows XP with VM Ware workstation 5.0 and an Ubuntu Feisty
Fawn installation on a virtual machine.  My laptop is a Sony GRV680.

When I run lsusb I see one entry for the device:
Bus 001 Device 092: ID 2040:2900 Hauppauge

My kernel version is 2.6.20-5-generic.

When I run cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I see:
P:  Vendor=2040 ProdID=2900 Rev=4.00
S:  Manufacturer=Hauppauge

The device resets continuously, leaving similar messages in dmesg
continuously:
USB disconnect, address 113
new ful sped USB device using uhci_hcd and address 114
configuraiton #1 chosen from 1 choice
Device microcontroller firmware (re)loaded; it should now reset and
reconnect.
USB disconnect, address 114

There is also no /dev/video0 available.

This may have to do with how windows, the USB bus, the VMWare virtual
machine and Ubuntu communicate, but I wanted to check here first.

Has anyone tried this setup, or ran into similar problems?  Any information
is much appreciated.

I know the hardware is working too, I just taped something in Windows.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Matt