[pvrusb2] video corruption update

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jan 27 01:00:46 CST 2007

I've been looking further into the video corruption issue.  I have some
good news, and some well, "neutral" news.

The good news is that I think I've completely solved the problem for
24xxx devices.  No more tearing / corruption at all anymore when doing
things that disrupt the video signal (e.g. change channels).

The "neutral" news is that while that problem is also gone for 29xxx
devices, I'm seeing other issues on the 29xxx hardware: sync problems,
stuttering, "slideshow" video, etc.  These all start after abusing the
hardware enough times by rapidly changing channels.  It _never_ seems to
happen when streaming is first started.  It's also less likely to happen
than the tearing / corruption problem was - so it might not have been so
easily noticed as the other problem.

The Hauppauge driver never restarts the stream when doing things like
changing channels.  So the root cause has to be some kind of setup issue
specific to the 29xxx hardware.  I'm still running experiments and
looking at log data to figure out what is going on here.

I was hoping to release a new snapshot tonight with the fix, but I don't
want to do this until I completely understand what is going on with the
29xxx side.  For example, I definitely want to be sure that whatever is
released that fixes 24xxx doesn't also make the 29xxx situation worse
(and I've already discovered an aspect of the 24xxx fix that did exactly
that).

Anyway, thought you'd all want to know what is going on with this.