[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-mci-20070114 radio support - stereo?

Pantelis pakt223 at freemail.gr
Sat Jan 27 12:26:07 CST 2007

> All that I see in the /tmp/signal.mono is "Mono Lang2". That means that
> either 1.) I am getting all stations Mono, 2.) signal is too weak for
> stereo. 1.) is not really a possibility but I have no way of verifying 2.)
> because I can't run the mplayer test in windows? can I? What I can tell you
> about the sound quality in windows is very subjective, because 'it sounds
> stereo' is no good.

If you have windows with the driver / wintv radio installed, you can try
a few stations and see if the "stereo" red sign lights up. If it does and
assuming you don 't move the device, then it should find it to be stereo
in linux as well.

You can actually run the mplayer test in windows if you are so inclined
(I know I did). The trick is to use the usbsnoop program from
http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/

First tune to a station that wintv radio claims to be stereo. Then close
wintv radio, run sniff-usb.exe, Install the service for the PVR-USB 2.0
device, unplug and then replug the usb cable. You should see the
log size increasing.

Start wintv radio (it will start at the station it was when you closed
it), let it play for a while, then close it, uninstall the service, close
sniff-usb and reboot.

The log is in \windows\usbsnoop.log. Then you can move this log
to linux and use the attached slightly modified log2bin.pl (originally
from v4l, from marcus IIRC) to extract the mpeg stream from the log.

Then finally you can apply the "mplayer test" to this file. I know
this could be a little over the top, but if you want to "get your hands dirty"
a bit, I 'd sure be the last person to stop you :-)

-Pantelis