[pvrusb2] MPEG1 stream type

Mark Brand mabrand at mabrand.nl
Mon Jul 23 05:48:15 CDT 2007

Mike Isely wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Mark Brand wrote:
>

>> I cannot get it to work either.  The video has the same problems
>> Frédéric mentions.
>>
>> Using pvrusb2-mci-20070428a.
>>
>> These are the settings I use:
>>

>> echo 352 >> ctl_resolution_hor/cur_val
>> echo 288 >> ctl_resolution_ver/cur_val
>>

> These *might* be contributing to the problem.  I have noticed that the
> cx23416 encoder doesn't always handle every possible combination of
> resolutions correctly.  You might want to start with something known to
> work (e.g. 640x480 or 320x240) and then once everything else is OK at
> that resolution then you can try a more interesting resolution.
>
> A while back I did some experimentation with resolution settings and
> came up with an algorithm that seems to more or less predict "bad"
> horizontal resolutions.  It is far from perfect but it might give you
> some insight with this issue.  Check here:
>
> http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html#Bugs
>
> (With that said, I have not run 352 through that to see if it's "ok".
> The point here is that I already know that the cx23416 seems to be
> sensitive to the chosen encoding resolution and that this issue might be
> an aggravating factor.)

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

By the way, the formula for "watchable" at the URL has an unmatched
parenthesis:
    watchable = ((hres - 1) >> 1) & 1) != 0
but we know where it goes.

The formula predicts that 352 should be OK.

640x480 exhibits the familiar problems. 320x240 seems to hang the thing.

The funny thing is that 352x288 is standard for PAL VCDs. (352x240 is
NTSC.) PAL VCD MPEG-1 mode works fine using Hauppauge's wintv2000.

Perhaps it's unrelated, but I notice that mplayer (unlike xine and vlc)
wrongly detects the aspect of even mpeg-2 video:
> VDec: vo config request - 720 x 576 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
> VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
> Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
> VO: [xv] 720x576 => 768x576 Planar YV12

Another thing about I notice is that changing the output mode to any of
the MPEG-1 choices leaves the resolution at the default 720x576, which
as far as I know is not possible for MPEG-1.

-Mark