[pvrusb2] Jumpy Video in Mythtv

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jun 28 13:41:32 CDT 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Mark Goldberg wrote:

> I'm still working on the audio issues.

I meant to comment on this before and forget.  Sorry...

The sysfs controls for audio directly manipulate the current audio gain
in the device.  However so do the V4L controls and therefore also the
mythtv "recording volume".  So if you use sysfs to attempt an audio gain
adjustment it will only stick around until MythTV overrides it.  It's
just one volume control knob and if multiple fingers are trying to twist
it...  :-)

It is a known fact that if the audio is set to full scale on a PVR USB2
device then you *will* get distortion.  This is actually what the V4L
developers prefer, i.e. "full scale" in the V4L interface is supposed to
set "full scale" in the hardware.  I happen to disagree with this and
think that it is better for the driver to scale the volume to a uniform
standard since the point of distortion is going to depend on the
specific hardware combination -- and only the driver really can really
understand that detail.  There's no way an app could know that for
example if it's a PVR USB2 then "max" is really say 59000 but if it is a
WinTV-Go then "max" should be 64000.  Drivers try to hint this by having
a default volume that should be where the max is, but that is a really
poor subsitute.  But it is what it is - and I'll step off my soapbox
here.

One good way to try to debug the audio issue here is to divide and
conquer.  Try operating the device just with mplayer, using sysfs for
the volume control.  Figure out what the right maximum gain is in that
case.  Note the value.  Now go back to MythTV and get into the state
again where you are recording audio with distortion.  Go back into the
sysfs interface now - while it is recording - and _read_ the audio
volume again.  Has it changed?  (Realize that this is a single volume
knob and both sysfs and V4L can write _and_ read the value so if it's
changed via the V4L interface you can read back the changed value
through the sysfs interface.)  If it has changed then MythTV is
erroneously pushing the recording volume up and you should check what
you have set there for the recording volume.  If it has not changed then
the distortion is being introduced somewhere else that's MythTV specific
or at least downstream of the PVR USB2 device, in which case I'd
probably look closer at your playback settings and/or your soundcard
settings.  Though if you are not getting distortion for ATSC playback
then this would seem to rule out everything downstream of the PVR USB2
device.