[pvrusb2] FAQ addendum for 4:3 recording resolutions

roger roger at eskimo.com
Sun Mar 11 06:28:15 CDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 01:46 -0600, Mike Isely wrote:

> Try this: Use the sysfs interface to change the aspect ratio.  Don't
> change the resolution; there's a separate control for the aspect ratio
> (ctl_video_aspect).  Observe the results in mplayer...

Yes.  Most times mplayer and other video players will correctly stretch
the video to fill the screen, but I'm noticing on some broadcasts,
especially on Channel 12 playing an oldie but favorite, I will get a
black bar on the right when recording 720x480.  Recording 640x480 gets
rid of the borders when playing with mplayer, etc.

ctl_video_aspect/cur_val *is* set to 4x3 ... which is what I want.

> Not sure I follow this line of reasoning.  It's impossible to record HD
> quality video via the composite (or s-video) input.

Ah, it was just a thought. /me is a dummy with HD terminology.

Last time I watched HD (16:9) LCD TV, it made me sea sick. :-/

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Sun Mar 11 04:27:58 PDT 2007