[pvrusb2] terratec grabster av400.. short report..

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Mar 15 14:29:44 CDT 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Michael Krufky wrote:

> Andrea Venturi wrote:
> > hi.
> >
> > this is my first post in this mailing list.
> >
> > i have just acquired one terratec grabster av400.
> >
> > http://www.terratec.it/prodotti/video_editing/grabster_av400_mk2.shtml
> >
> > this is the link for a 6.1 MB driver:
> > http://supporten.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=1000
> >
> > it's should be the same of the Yuan "TigerBird BMP837" or Conexant
> > (reference design?!) Conexant Python2  devices..
> >
> > this is the usual HW usb mpeg2 encoder based on the CX23416:
> >
> > http://www.terratec.it/prodotti/video_editing/grabster_av400/board.JPG
> >
> > there's no tuner, and the main chips are:
> >
> > - Conexant 	CX25837-44 	Video Decoder
> > - Conexant 	CX23416-12 	Encoder Mpeg2
> > - Cypress 	CY7C68013 	Driver USB
>

> It *should* be trivial to get this device supported by the pvrusb2 driver.
>
> For a quick test, you should edit the pvrusb2 driver, replacing the usb ids of
> the 24xxx device with the usb ids of your terratec device.  I would expect it to
> work out-of-the-box after that change.  firmware can be downloaded at:
> http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/

There may be some hiccups with getting the FX2 firmware going on this
device.  There are significant changes in the FX2 firmware between a
29xxx and a 24xxx device - enough so that firmware for one variant
simply won't work on the other - and I imagine it's likely to be a
troublespot different in this case.  I seriously doubt that the 29xxx or
24xxx specific FX2 firmware would even work on this device.

That is not to say you shouldn't give this a try.  It's certainly what I
would do.  It's also possible that your device has the needed FX2
firmware resident in flash somewhere in which case the pvrusb2 driver
will probably skip any attempt to send the FX2 firmware.  But in any
case this is a step in the initialization where things might stumble.

If it appears that you do need the correct FX2 firmware, you might try
running through the "manual extraction process" documented on the
pvrusb2 site.

> Let us know what happens!

Please do.