[pvrusb2] First Impressions with a Hauppauge WInTV HVR-950

roger roger at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 20 14:10:44 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 14:25 -0400, Michael Krufky wrote:

> The hvr950 is fully supported in the following tree:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/hvr950
>
> Beware, that installing this tree will break all devices that use non-xceive
> tuners.  ...yes, that means that pvrusb2 is in fact broken in this tree.
>
> The original author of the em28xx / em2880-dvb / xc3028 driver has pulled his
> development trees away from linuxtv.org -- Although I added the hvr950 support
> to these drivers, I cannot offer any tech support.
>
> This device family is not supported by the mainline kernel, nor will it be
> merged anytime soon.

Interesting.  Had thought from a brief researh on Google, the device
would work with an existing kernel... >2.6.18 or >2.6.19(?)

> TO ROGER:  The selling point of the hvr950 is atsc support.  Yes, it is capable
> of raw analog capture, but the device does not have an mpeg encoder.  It works
> fine for watching live analog tv, or digital tv, but it is not meant for
> recording analog.  digital recordings, otoh, is a different story.

I knew this from start.

It's why I've been doing my part and complaining there are no Digital
ATSC pvrusb2's yet.  And, if they don't have the motivation, they should
pay Mike lots of money to take up the initiative. :-)

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Tue Mar 20 12:09:40 PDT 2007