[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 and Feisty

roger roger at eskimo.com
Thu May 3 02:43:21 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 09:20 +0200, Andrea Venturi wrote:
> Santiago Almenara wrote:
> > Hi ppl!
> >
> > Last night, I plugged my pvrusb2 in my recently installed Feisty box... it worked right out the box, the firmware and the drivers were installed!!! Great!!!
>
> may i ask if, when you plug the device in the box, there's a default
> application starting?
>
> all right the drivers running OOB are fine, but the clueless user should
> have an experience where the default app who deals with the device just
> starts on plug-in.
>
> do you think is it possible?

Create a udev rule to fire up mythtv.

Simple.  Just grab the sysfs id and then create a rule to detect the
device and trigger the application after a 2-5 second delay (so it's not
started prior to creation of /dev/v4l/video0 or /dev/v4l/radio0).

But I think most would just disable such a rule as the pvrusb2 is really
meant for Mythtv, as a pvr device instead of a live tv device.

There's an article about "Automatically backing up a USB pen
device" (ie. detect via udev/sysfs device pluged in, wait 5 sec, run
dd=/dev/sda1 of=/backup/image.) running around on either the internet or
Linux Journal... think the later.

I think the most desired feature for auto-detect with this device is,
"detect pvrusb2" && "start mythbackend" && "put some eye-candy in the
GUI tray stating your pvrusb2 is plugged in & mythbackend is started
with a clickable interface to start "live tv" or "play recorded
programs"."

Just some random thoughts.

--
Roger