[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 and Feisty

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu May 3 09:55:38 CDT 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, roger wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 09:20 +0200, Andrea Venturi wrote:
> > Santiago Almenara wrote:
> > > Hi ppl!
> > >
> > > Last night, I plugged my pvrusb2 in my recently installed Feisty box... it worked right out the box, the firmware and the drivers were installed!!! Great!!!
> >
> > may i ask if, when you plug the device in the box, there's a default
> > application starting?
> >
> > all right the drivers running OOB are fine, but the clueless user should
> > have an experience where the default app who deals with the device just
> > starts on plug-in.
> >
> > do you think is it possible?
>
> Create a udev rule to fire up mythtv.
>
> Simple.  Just grab the sysfs id and then create a rule to detect the
> device and trigger the application after a 2-5 second delay (so it's not
> started prior to creation of /dev/v4l/video0 or /dev/v4l/radio0).
>
> But I think most would just disable such a rule as the pvrusb2 is really
> meant for Mythtv, as a pvr device instead of a live tv device.
>
> There's an article about "Automatically backing up a USB pen
> device" (ie. detect via udev/sysfs device pluged in, wait 5 sec, run
> dd=/dev/sda1 of=/backup/image.) running around on either the internet or
> Linux Journal... think the later.
>

> I think the most desired feature for auto-detect with this device is,
> "detect pvrusb2" && "start mythbackend" && "put some eye-candy in the
> GUI tray stating your pvrusb2 is plugged in & mythbackend is started
> with a clickable interface to start "live tv" or "play recorded
> programs"."
>
> Just some random thoughts.

It's an interesting idea, but it still would not work out-of-the-box.
Clearly there's a lot of mythtv config that has to happen first, but
more importantly mythtv has to know what kind of device this is and it's
not smart enough to figure that out on its own (and I can't blame it
since the v4l API is not very clear on that critical distinction
either).  Said another way, how is the backend supposed to treat
/dev/v4l/video0 when it appears?  As a dumb framebuffer device or an
ivtv type of device?  No matter what that choice a whole class of
devices is not going to work without some user intervention first :-(