[pvrusb2] Looking for the next generation

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Nov 4 07:23:46 CST 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, roger wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 15:10 -0700, Steven Karp wrote:
> > Not really on topic, for which I apologize.  If someone can recommend a more
> > appropriate place for this sort of question, please do!
> >
> > Having just upgraded my satellite to add HD channels, I'd love to find a
> > device like my beloved Hauppauge box that supports HD.  I'd prefer USB over
> > PCI so I can swap it between two machines easily.  All of the devices I can
> > find out there that say anything about HD are primarily tuners; some of them
> > also have SVideo inputs.
> >
> > Is there anything out there that will take an HDMI or Component input and
> > produce output in some useable form (mpeg2, mpeg4, etc.)?  Bonus points if it
> > costs less than 4 figures in US dollars
>
> I posted something like this several months ago.  From the info I
> gathered, expect HDTV/Digital TV (ATSC) products to start hitting the
> market by 2008.
>
> I too am a devoted fan of my pvrusb2... too make mention of the
> extremely stable pvrusb2 driver as well! ;-)
>
> (Another good place to ask this question is on the #pvrusb2 freenode irc
> channel.)

I have to imagine that Hauppauge, the most well known player in the
field of tv capture devices, is not sitting still on this either.

BTW, I know things have been quiet here.  But I am working on a major
change to the way that the rendering pipeline is stopped / started that
I am hoping will further stabilize the encoder.  I also now know
additional information (thank you Mike Krufky) that breathes new life
into the possibility of supporting uncompressed video output - but that
is still much further out.  And there's added demand now to get this
thing working with a DVB interface as well.  So lots of interesting
stuff going on.

There's a fix coming for a kernel oops bug fix (found Friday night), for
which I am going to release a new snapshot probably later today.