[pvrusb2] Snapshot issues

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Sep 4 13:29:35 CDT 2007

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, chaz15105 wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My first post so apologies please for my ignorance.

> I have been using the PVR-USB2 for a while with no problems, but have
> recently had issuess with my snapshots. The top half of my snapshots
> are cut off so they look like this: http://i1.tinypic.com/6btg7c8.jpg

> I don't have any problems with the videos..they are fine. All inputs
> (Tuner, Svideo, etc) have the same problem. I'm using an HD cable
> receiver as my video source, but don't believe that to be the cause. I
> have uninstalled/installed the drivers, etc without effect. Any ideas
> what the problem might be?

Chaz:

How are you taking snapshots?  The driver just spits out mpeg data so
you must be using something to capture frames from it.  It can't know
how you are using the data so if it's OK with one method and problematic
with another then at first glance this sounds like an issue with the
method itself.

Try capturing to a file (i.e. "cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/foo.mpg"), then
play that file back as video in mplayer or vlc.  Now try to capture a
snapshot from that file (can you do that?).  If the video looked ok but
the snapshot is still bad, then that should prove that it is something
strange with the snapshot process you are doing.