[pvrusb2] sysfs, usdev and udevinfo

xavier.gnata at free.fr xavier.gnata at free.fr
Tue Apr 1 15:11:19 CDT 2008

Selon Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:

> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:
>

> > It looks like it has something to do with /usr/share/hwdata/usb.ids but for
> > instance there is no mention of "Laptop Integrated Webcam" in this ubs.ids.
> > I even fail to understand where this "Laptop Integrated Webcam" comes from.
> > I should read this small webcam driver sources in detail to find out what
> is
> > going on here...
> >

> No, this data has to be coming from kernelspace, via the driver that is
> exporting its interface.  There are all sorts of attributes that other
> drivers can make available - like device serial numbers - that can ONLY
> come from the hardware itself.
>
> I have a strong suspicion that setting up additional kobj structures
> (one per attribute) and associating them with the registered device node
> may be the key to this.  But I need to do some digging (or perhaps
> someone can figure it out and tell me about it)...
>
>   -Mike

I must be missing something here.
I agree that it must be on driver side but I'm looking at this small webcam
driver
svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/linux-uvc/linux-uvc/trunk

udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/video0)
gives this :
ATTR{name}=="Laptop Integrated Webcam"
but I cannot find this string (or even substrings) neither in the driver nor in
the kernel sources.
Hum...the data (like the name) must come from the hardware.

Xavier