[pvrusb2] Mac Mini & pvrusb2

Bjorn Danielsson pvr-usb2 at dax.nu
Sun Apr 13 18:04:33 CDT 2008

Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>[...]
> Hi Bjorn.  Haven't heard from you in a quite a long while.  I thought
> you were forever married to your usermode driver?  :-)

No, it's more like that old blanket that you can't bring yourself to
throw away :-)

> When / if you get that Mac Mini, it would be great if you could post
> here the results of running the pvrusb2 driver there.  I do agree it
> should work without issues, but I'm not in any position to try it here
> (I don't have a mac).

My Mac Mini arrived last friday. I spent this weekend installing and
configuring Slamd64 (the x86-64 version of Slackware) and this evening
I tried the pvrusb2 driver in the 2.6.24.4 kernel. So far I have only
tested it with "cat /dev/video0 > file.mpg" and this worked perfectly
without any problems, patches, or special tricks. I used the firmware
from the ivtv page. Next weekend I will play around with some of the
ioctls, and report back here if anything unusual happens...

The saa7115 driver produced some curious dmesg output:

saa7115 1-0021: Input:           Composite 4
saa7115 1-0021: Video signal:    bad
saa7115 1-0021: Frequency:       50 Hz
saa7115 1-0021: Detected format: BW/No color

OK, I can accept the "bad" video signal, but why does it say
"BW/No color"? The captured MPEG did have correct colors.
(I realize that this has nothing to the pvrusb2 driver per se)

There were a few quirks when installing Linux on the Mac Mini.
Getting TV-out to work (via Apple's DVI-to-S-video adapter) was
non-trivial, and I still haven't been able to make it work exactly
as I want. There were some issues with network drivers also, and
the boot procedure is different since it uses EFI rather than the
good old BIOS+MBR.

--
Bjorn Danielsson  <pvr-usb2 at dax.nu>