[pvrusb2] Frame grab / stills capture ?

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Tue Feb 12 20:50:11 CST 2008

Mike Isely wrote:
> Guess maybe I need to look harder at getting uncompressed video working
> in the pvrusb2 driver...

...SLIGHTLY off-topic.....

The moment the pvrusb2 driver supports raw framegrabbing, it opens up more possibilities.

It might be a good idea to keep the idea in the back of your head, of allowing the driver to handle devices without an encoder.

For example:

Comparing Hauppauge 24xxx device against DViCO's FusionHDTV5 USB Gold:

BOTH use a cypress FX2 usb controller
BOTH have the same basic FX2 command set
BOTH have a cx25843 a/v decoder
BOTH have a wm8775 adc

DViCO's device has ATSC/QAM support, but no encoder.

24xxx has an encoder, but no ATSC/QAM support.

As far as getting analog framegrabber support, the only difference between these two devices is the presence of the encoder in the 24xxx, which encapsulates the raw video within the mpeg container.

Sure, I know that is a big difference...  but, other than that, the same basic code would work on both devices.

OTOH, the driver is mostly based on the fact that the device *does* have a conexant mpeg encoder present... so, this idea might not really be practical.  Just some food for thought  :-)

Regards.

Mike Krufky