[pvrusb2] Frame grab / stills capture ?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Feb 12 20:35:54 CST 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, pvrusb2 at netspoon.co.uk wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for you reply.  If you can put this feature request somewhere
> down the bottom of the list, I'd appreciate it.  I will look into
> extraction of frames from the stream as an alternative, I was really
> just trying to get existing bits of kit hooked up to a debian NSLU2 or
> my Linkstation to capture an external video source (x18 zoom old video
> camera) for a wildlife stills webcam.   (As an aside, can you recommend
> an alternative analogue USB frame capture device that is well supported
> with linux drivers?)

With an NSLU2 I believe you're also limited to USB 1.1 rates (12Mbps).
That device also may be taxed heavily if it is going to be pushing
uncompressed video frames around.  So you may have another issue there.

As for your other question, I don't think I can give a very good answer.
At my day job we're actually asking ourselves this very question for a
cockpit video application and I have recently learned (just today) that
I know less about this than I had thought.

Guess maybe I need to look harder at getting uncompressed video working
in the pvrusb2 driver...

isely @ pobox (dot) com