[pvrusb2] saa7115 1-0021: Video signal: bad

dan dsflinux at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 22 09:20:28 CST 2008

Mike Isely wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, dan wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the reply...I had read the ref'd page(s)...but as you have
>> found its hard to write it and its even harder for a stubborn old man to
>> read it with any degree of comprehension... Thanks for holding my
>> hand..or as we used to say ''''RTFM""". Off subject but you will
>> appreciate: My first technical training was; age 18, navy comic books at
>> naval training center for electronics...This worked as I had no math,
>> science or knowledge...
>> Second instance; age 26, junior engineer for aerospace co----They
>> supplied tech writer with 30 years experience to turn my design into
>> tech manual for air force...Last (recent); age 72,  puppy linux,
>> mepis....these have built short, concise, location (problem ?) specific
>> popups with well written, short, descriptive  items that really help
>> those of us that can't or wont read in the depth you have done for the
>> driver you built.....This is not a critisism of your documentation, just
>> to show understanding of your frustration..It would be wonderful of you
>> could access an old experienced tech writer....but again "that's linux".....
>>
>> I spent the morning reading and trying to get tv working...I tried
>> kdetv, kmplayer, mplayer, kino..etc. but I have been unable to set it
>> up(or too lazy to find the setups to set it up). I googled and forumed
>> and wikied for a easy way to setup mythtv....some referrals to synaptic
>> appear but my mepis 7 install does not download any mythtv packages. I
>> downloaded the tarball from mythtv site and one day may try to unball
>> and compile??? it.
>>

> One significant issue that you can't escape is that the pvrusb2 driver
> emits an mpeg2 video stream via the V4L API.  In order for an app to use
> this it has to be able to handle mpeg2.  And there are precious few V4L
> apps that can do this - just xawtv and mythtv are the only two I know
> about.  There are some other apps that can also just "read" a random
> path and decode mpeg2 from that - this is how mplayer can be made to
> work.  Unfortunately that's about it.
>
> There's a much larger set of video apps that can decode mpeg2 from the
> DVB API.  But unfortunately this driver doesn't use the DVB API.  I'd
> like very much to "fix" that issue, and there's been some progress along
> this line, but DVB is a complex beast and there are some aspects to it
> (like it really is meant for true digital TV receivers) that may yet
> scuttle this ability.  I'm still learning however...
>

>> Tried mplayer (yes, w/o the kde)....results:
>>

>    [...]
>
> In amongst all that noise (mplayer output is very noisy), I see this:
>

>> MPEG-PS file format detected.
>> VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 2)  29.970 fps  8000.0 kbps (1000.0 kbyte/s)
>>

>    [...]
>
> So it looks like it worked for you.
>

>> Don't understand what this means or at least at a loss as to what to try.

> [...]
Thanks again and again....
Mepis is debian based and uses synaptic which makes it easier for us
lazy old ones.....

I do not get video with mplayer, reports error opening video_out device
(-vo)  It will take me some time to absorb your new info....note;
kmplayer shows gray then blue screen then it breaks to small narrow
screen. it also has a console view and configurable ch/freq setup screen
and may be easier for me to use. I will decide today if I try mythtv or
continue to try mplayer or compile xawtv.