[pvrusb2] saa7115 1-0021: Video signal: bad

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Feb 22 12:45:11 CST 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, dan wrote:

> Thanks again and again....
> Mepis is debian based and uses synaptic which makes it easier for us
> lazy old ones.....
>
> I do not get video with mplayer, reports error opening video_out device
> (-vo)  It will take me some time to absorb your new info....note;
> kmplayer shows gray then blue screen then it breaks to small narrow
> screen. it also has a console view and configurable ch/freq setup screen
> and may be easier for me to use. I will decide today if I try mythtv or
> continue to try mplayer or compile xawtv.

OK, that is an mplayer problem does a driver problem.  The mplayer
program supports multiple output back-ends and it either can't figure
out what to use or what it is choosing isn't working.  Run "mplayer -vo
help" and you'll get a list of all the choices.  Two choices that are
likely to work in all cases are "-vo x11" and "-vo xv".  The second
choice is preferred because then it will be able to scale the video
using a hardware scaler on the GPU.  But if "-vo xv" doesn't work then
certainly "-vo x11" will.  I also suggest you find some nice mpg video
clips somewhere and just try to play those with mplayer.  Then you can
debug mplayer issues separate from pvrusb2 driver issues.  Once you have
something that works, you can write these options into ~/.mplayer/config
(or something like that).  Check the man page for mplayer to find out
more details about all of this.  I wouldn't even bother with kmplayer
until mplayer itself is working first.

isely @ pobox (dot) com