[pvrusb2] saa7115 1-0021: Video signal: bad

dan dsflinux at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 26 17:05:55 CST 2008

Mike Isely wrote:

> OK, that is an mplayer problem does a driver problem.  The mplayer
> program supports multiple output back-ends and it either can't figure
> out what to use or what it is choosing isn't working.  Run "mplayer -vo
> help" and you'll get a list of all the choices.  Two choices that are
> likely to work in all cases are "-vo x11" and "-vo xv".  The second
> choice is preferred because then it will be able to scale the video
> using a hardware scaler on the GPU.  But if "-vo xv" doesn't work then
> certainly "-vo x11" will.  I also suggest you find some nice mpg video
> clips somewhere and just try to play those with mplayer.  Then you can
> debug mplayer issues separate from pvrusb2 driver issues.  Once you have
> something that works, you can write these options into ~/.mplayer/config
> (or something like that).  Check the man page for mplayer to find out
> more details about all of this.  I wouldn't even bother with kmplayer
> until mplayer itself is working first.
>
>   -Mike

I don't know why I keep trying this!!!!!!

kmplayer gives me more info to work with and I don't know mplayer
commands, etc.

I have the wintv box connected to a coax cable source and also to a
composite source. Neither of these will play "TV" in linux (mepis).
Kmplayer (mplayer) plays avi, jpeg, wmv files and streaming video
(utube) with no problem.

The handbook with kmplayer recommends: 1- start kmplayer from console, 2
- try play then capture mplayer -wid1234567 etc and paste to another
console.

This is what I get when I do that:

:~$ kmplayer
QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
kmplayer: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol ''.
kmplayer:
mplayer -wid 50332603 -slave  -vo xv,sdl,x11 -ao alsa,oss,sdl,arts
-framedrop driver=v4l -vf pp=lb -contrast 0 -brightness 0 -hue 0
-saturation 0 -tv
noaudio:driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:input=2:width=48:height=32 -slave
-nocache -quiet 'tv://' -identify
eval gui_play

I found this in the mplayer man pages:

-pvr <option1:option2:...> (PVR only)
              This option tunes various encoding properties of the PVR
capture
              module.  It has to be used with any hardware MPEG encoder
based
              card   supported  by  the  V4L2  driver.   The  Hauppauge
WinTV
              PVR-150/250/350/500 and all IVTV based cards are  known
as  PVR
              capture cards.  Be aware that only Linux 2.6.18 kernel and
above
              is able to handle MPEG stream through V4L2 layer.  For
hardware
              capture of an MPEG stream and watching it with
MPlayer/MEncoder,
              use 'pvr://' as a movie URL.

changed 'tv://' to 'pvr://'------------------------:

~$ mplayer -wid 37750035 -slave  -vo xv,sdl,x11 -ao alsa,oss,sdl,arts
-framedrop driver=v4l -vf pp=lb -contrast 0 -brightness 0 -hue 0
-saturation 0 -tv
noaudio:driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:input=2:width=48:height=32 -slave
-nocache -quiet 'pvr://' -identify

MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.2-DFSG-free (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 9)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing driver=v4l.
File not found: 'driver=v4l'
Failed to open driver=v4l.

Playing pvr://.
[pvr] Using device /dev/video0
[pvr] Detected Hauppauge WinTV pvr-usb2
[v4l2] Available video inputs: '#0, television' '#1, s-video' '#2,
composite' '#3, radio'
[v4l2] Available audio inputs: '#0, PVRUSB2 Audio'
[v4l2] Available norms: '#0, PAL-M' '#1, PAL-N' '#2, PAL-Nc' '#3,
NTSC-M' '#4, NTSC-Mj' '#5, NTSC-Mk'
[v4l2] Video input: television
[v4l2] Audio input: PVRUSB2 Audio
[pvr] failed with errno 22 when reading 2048 bytes
[pvr] read 0 bytes
.
.
.pvr] failed with errno 22 when reading 2048 bytes
[pvr] read 0 bytes
Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: avisynth.dll,
/usr/lib/codecs/avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll,
/usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
[pvr] failed with errno 2 when reading 2048 bytes
[pvr] read 0 bytes
.
.
.

[pvr] failed with errno 2 when reading 2048 bytes
[pvr] read 0 bytes

Exiting... (End of file)

This is too much for an old brain to absorb.....When I take in new I
have to dump something old.....It just frustrates me for windows to work
and linux not.....!!!!!!!

Dan