[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080725

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Jul 25 18:58:49 CDT 2008

A new pvrusb2 driver snapshot is available.  This addresses the pvrusb2
part of the IR problem posted by Nat Tellin.  The problem was that the
IR chip is being held in reset by the hardware and that the host driver
(i.e. pvrusb2) needs to release the reset before anybody else has any
chance to talk to the chip.  Thanks go to Mike Krufky for figuring this
out.  The change to support this is minor, but I did rework the device
attribute mechanism a bit so that the IR type is now an enumeration
instead of a simple boolean; thus it can be used to indicate other IR
situations in the future as the need warrants.  Even with this fix, the
LIRC driver still has to behave properly and from what Nat has
determined that is still some pretty rough road to travel.  Hopefully
the LIRC side will improve, or maybe Nat will soon become an LIRC
developer! :-)

This also includes a bunch of source code thrashing to deal with the
fact that the v4l-dvb repository apparently no longer supports kernels
older than 2.6.16.  The standalone pvrusb2 driver however should
continue to work all the way back to 2.6.12 so I had to futz with a lot
of stuff to keep the standalone and v4l-dvb versions from diverging.
Long story, but the short summary is that the resulting compiled code
*should* be unchanged (just a lot of ifdef-thrashing).

There is also a small fix that will probably be required in order for
the driver to build in the 2.6.27 kernel.

I (still) haven't forgotten about the video cropping patch that had been
posted; I still hope to get that into the driver sometime soon.

As usual, the pvrusb2 web site can be found at:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html

isely @ pobox (dot) com