[pvrusb2] Brand new HVR-1950 - no IR device!

Nat Tellin nat.tellin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 17:49:13 CDT 2008

With many thanks to both Mikes, the remote now works. However,
complete support isn't quite ready.

A summary of the state right now...

-This issue and patch affect the 73xx and 75xx series (such as my HVR-1950)
-The patch currently has not been officially merged or uploaded
-IR blaster should work fine as well, but only RX has been tested

Some issues are unresolved with respect to the specific lirc module to load.
-lirc_pvr150 doesn't appear to be in the official lirc tree - not sure
where it originates, but it was included by my distro.
-lirc_pvr150 seems to be largely similar to lirc_i2c (both use i2c / a
lot of the code looks the same (forked?) ) and specifically seems to
serve the purpose of adding blaster support...for the PVR-150.
-lirc_i2c has *not* yet been tested to work
-lirc_pvr150 has a reference to a particular function
void ivtv_reset_ir_gpio(struct ivtv *itv)
which didn't exist in my recent (v4l-dvb snapshot) ivtv module.
Inserting the module required me to comment out a few offending lines.
-lirc_pvr150 seems to want to load firmware for the IR blaster

dmesg output following modprobe lirc_pvr150 debug=1
[  764.426645] lirc_pvr150: probe 0x70 @ pvrusb2_a: yes
[  764.427264] lirc_pvr150: probe 0x71 @ pvrusb2_a: yes
[  764.427272] lirc_pvr150: chip found with RX and TX
[  764.427388] lirc_pvr150: poll thread started
[  764.431351] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
[  764.447583] lirc_pvr150: firmware haup-ir-blaster.bin not available (-2)
[  764.448022] lirc_pvr150: poll thread ended

Michael Krufky indicated that no firmware should be loaded for these
models (In fact, this has been speculated to perhaps cause an
explosion of some unknown magnitude).

My interpretation is that either there's a newer version of
lirc_pvr150 that I haven't found yet, or perhaps it is long overdue
for an update.
lirc_i2c is likely to work, but does not have IR blaster support.
lirc_pvr150 blaster support *may* work fine with these models if the
firmware loading code is disabled for them, but this has not been
tested.

The patch should be available shortly, following some further
investigation about proper support from LIRC.