[pvrusb2] Lirc not creating /dev/lirc0!

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Mar 6 08:37:49 CST 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, roger wrote:

> I keep getting this sporadic thing where Lirc refused to find my pvrusb
> devices IR.
>
> I am using kexec & tuxonice for hibernating.  And kexec (rebooting with)
> seems to condone this issue.
>
> The only method I've been able to use to hack around this issue.  Use
> the pvrusb2 device with a windows box and start the pvrusb2 device from
> a cold cold cold start to ensure windows loads the firmwares.

I have never done anything with the pvrusb2 to try to verify operation
after a resume.  I seriously doubt that it would work if I tried.

As for firmware, there is no firmware needed for IR support beyond the
FX2 firmware needed to use the entire device at all.  If the pvrusb2
driver is still able to communicate with the hardware and other bits of
internal stuff within it, then the FX2 is healthy and thus firmware is
not the problem.

You might try unloading the pvrusb2 driver and reloading it (i.e.
"modprobe -r pvrusb2; modprobe pvrusb2").  That should cause everything
to reinitialize and clean up any messes left by a suspend.

isely @ pobox (dot) com