[pvrusb2] Lirc not creating /dev/lirc0!

roger roger at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 6 15:38:37 CST 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 08:37 -0600, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, roger wrote:
>
> > I keep getting this sporadic thing where Lirc refused to find my pvrusb
> > devices IR.
> >
> > I am using kexec & tuxonice for hibernating.  And kexec (rebooting with)
> > seems to condone this issue.
> >
> > The only method I've been able to use to hack around this issue.  Use
> > the pvrusb2 device with a windows box and start the pvrusb2 device from
> > a cold cold cold start to ensure windows loads the firmwares.
>
> I have never done anything with the pvrusb2 to try to verify operation
> after a resume.  I seriously doubt that it would work if I tried.

Seems to work just fine, but then again, I do believe I am unloading the
pvrusb2 module prior to suspend.

> As for firmware, there is no firmware needed for IR support beyond the
> FX2 firmware needed to use the entire device at all.  If the pvrusb2
> driver is still able to communicate with the hardware and other bits of
> internal stuff within it, then the FX2 is healthy and thus firmware is
> not the problem.
>
> You might try unloading the pvrusb2 driver and reloading it (i.e.
> "modprobe -r pvrusb2; modprobe pvrusb2").  That should cause everything
> to reinitialize and clean up any messes left by a suspend.

Think so too.  But doing so, seems to reinitialize everything, but
doesn't help lirc at all.  I'm guessing it's something to do with USB.

USB is known in the past to have hiccups with Hibernate
(Suspend2/TuxOnIce).  (Duh... just really starting to think on this
one!)

Once lirc is working, (pvrusb2 IR) does work with hibernating, but I
think I've set pvrusb2 so the module unloads prior to hibernate.  Lirc
is definitely set to stop & unload prior to hibernate and reload after
hibernate.

I think also, rebooting with kexec instead of a cold boot (re-init with
motherboard bios) might also be causing the hiccup with lirc.

But when I think about it, think I'll focus more on USB being the
problem.  One method, is to make sure USB is compiled as modules instead
of statically.

I do know, pvrusb2 lirc/ir will survive through hibernate, but then IR
support disappears for some reason.  Possibley, warm booting using Kexec
or a USB failure with Suspend2/TuxOnIce.

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Thu Mar 6 12:37:19 AKST 2008