[pvrusb2] Weird behavior with my Happauge UB-PVR

Thu Mar 20 08:50:14 CDT 2008

So everything has been working fairly well with my Myth setup for the
last month or so. I haven't really been using it a  lot as I still am
having issues getting a front end working so that it will display on
my tv. (this is an issue with the computer, not Myth)

I have been seeing a situation that occurs more frequently than I
would like and I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this and if
there is a solution to it.

Normally my PVR is mounted at /dev/video0, however, frequently it will
change to /dev/video1 without any reason. Normally I had seen this
when I would shutdown the backend in order to run mythfilldatabase and
then restart the backend. When this does occur, from the command like
it looks like the backend starts, but upon review of the log file, you
can see an error that the backend could not read from /dev/video0 or
/dev/video1, depending on what I had it set to previously.

Last night I saw something really really strange happen. Right in the
middle of a 1 hour show, somehow the the PVR when from being active on
/dev/video0 to /dev/video1! Myth was recording just fine and then it
just stopped.

I do have a script that runs each morning at 6:45am that shuts down
the backend, runs mythfilldatabase and then starts the backend up
again. Now that I know my issue, I have thought about creating a
script that would run after the backend has been restarted and test to
see if /dev/video0 or /dev/video1 should be used. Is the configuration
file for the capture card just a text file that I could write to in
order to do this in a script? Does anyone have any other suggestions
to get this to work properly or is this just one of the issues you run
into while using USB since there is no guarentee with USB that it will
always be the same?

For what it's worth, I have the same issue with my 4 USB External HDs
also. They don't always get the same device id on a reboot and I have
to manually correct them so that my exported NFS stuff is correct.

Thanks,
-Eric