[pvrusb2] PVRUSB2 REMOTE and Lirc-0.8.3_pre repeated key activity

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Mar 30 18:58:24 CDT 2008

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, roger wrote:

> A quick look at syslog the other day and I noticed lircmd daemon was
> spitting out a repeated message every <1 second:
> "lirc_i2c: key (0x00/0x00)"
>
> Although, I have lirc_dev & lirc_i2c modules configured to output debug
> info, this is unusual from past activity!  It should be quite silent!
>
> Only thing I did just the other day, some upgrades not including kernel
> or lirc... and I compiled the entire kernel Parellel Port as module.

Well then unload that module and see if the problem goes away...

Roger, you are bringing up issues that are really specific to LIRC and
not the pvrusb2 driver.  I don't have any information for you here
that you haven't already heard.  I've already described in detail how
the IR traffic is carried over the wire and the fact that the driver
doesn't do anything except act as a conduit between LIRC's hauppauge
I2C driver and the IR receiver chip.  This service from the driver (to
act as an I2C adapter for any interested parties) is exactly the same
as that for any other I2C related client driver; the pvrusb2 driver
does not normally differentiate any of this.

I suggest you are probably going to get better help talking to LIRC
developers.

Then again you said a while back that this is happening in Windows as
well, in which case you really should RMA the hardware.  We've
discussed that too, in IRC.  When you said you couldn't get them to
talk to you via e-mail I and another person (who happens to know a
thing or two about HCW on the inside) suggested you call them, even
suggesting a time when it would be best to call.  You should probably
follow through with that and stop guessing at software problems.

I apologize if this sounds harsh.  Problems can really be tough to
isolate.  But you need to consider everything you've already learned
from this and do what those symptoms are telling you to do: RMA the
hardware.  Adding irrelevant noise on this list (e.g. telling people
to "reload echi_hcd when you replug the PVR USB2 device") reduces the
overall value of the information archived here.  Stuff like that gets
found in google searches and will make it harder for others to track
real problems later.  Anyway, I do apologize for the harshness of this
post, but please get your hardware fixed.

  -Mike

> #cat /proc/kmsg
> <7>lirc_dev (lirc_i2c[0]): open
> called