[pvrusb2] Hauppauge HVR 1950

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu May 15 22:27:10 CDT 2008

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Tina Ning wrote:

> Mike,
>

> I am starting a project that I need to port Hauppauge HVR1950 to my
> broadcom Linux 2.6.18 system. Since I just started up, I hope you can
> provide me your guidance:
>
> 1)       what kind of drivers I need to have in order to run the driver
>
>       From Hauppauge web site, I saw it needs to have cx2341x driver.
> And my kernel contains the driver(might not working though).

You need the pvrusb2 driver and various bits from v4l-dvb, all of which
is already available.

> 2)       What approach will be best for me to start? I saw your web site
> that you provided three choices, standalone, v4L and in kernel.
>
> i)                     Standalone: I am not sure if standalone is the
> good approach or not. I saw your new patch 20080120 has supported
> HVR-1950 already. This seems a good approach for me. The only question
> is if I still need its firmware or not. If yes, where can I find HVR1950
> firmware? Is it usable for Brtoadcom Linux Kernel?

Support for this driver is very very new.  That causes some additional
constraints.  And while the driver support is there, I haven't updated
the documentation yet to cover this device.  That unfortunately is
probably part of the confusion here.

The standalone driver will work, but it needs to be built against a
recent enough kernel that has the needed additional support.
Unfortunately 2.6.25 is not recent enough.  You will need 2.6.26.

> ii)                   In kernel: My kernel has cx2341x driver as well as
> pvrusb2 package. Do I need other drivers? Is it possible I put your
> 20080120 package inside the kernel?

The driver in 2.6.25 is too old to support this device.  What is coming
in 2.6.26 will have the needed support.

The in-V4L driver refers to the V4L-DVB repository, which contains
cutting edge code that is typically targetted for the next kernel
release.  The V4L-DVB repository has everything you need already
(including the pvrusb2 driver itself).

Probably for your situation I'd recommend you grab and build a V4L-DVB
snapshot against whatever kernel you are currently using.  Alternatively
you can try out a 2.6.26 release candidate, which should have all the
driver pieces (except the firmware, see further) already included.

The firmware is another issue.  I've been remiss in getting fwextract.pl
updated - been distracted by other issues for the recent past.  However
it's not that hard to get this part going.  I will try this Sunday to
take care of the firmware extraction and I'll publish a new fwextract.pl
to handle it.  Alternatively, you should be able to execute the "manual
extraction" procedure documented on the pvrusb2 driver web site, which
should result in all the firmware you need.  This device requires
firmware similar to the 24xxx model, same types of files though the FX2
firmware will be different and requires a different name:
"v4l-pvrusb2-73xxx-01.fw".  You likely can reuse existing cx25840 and
cx2341x firmware files floating around, but the FX2 firmware is very
specific to this device and will still need to be extracted.

isely @ pobox (dot) com