[pvrusb2] Hauppauge HVR 1950

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Sat May 17 12:36:12 CDT 2008

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Tina Ning wrote:
>> I tried v4l-dvb latest version on my system with HVR1950 plugged in (I
>> put all of modules inside /lib/modules/xxxx/extra folder), and added
>> "inmod pvrusb2.ko" in my startup scripts. From the log,
>> usb_register_driver was called, but not usb_probe_interface. When I
>> checked the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices", it showed HVR-1950's
>> "   driver=(None)". Do I need to insert other modules from v4l-dvb
>> package?
>>

>> I tried standalone package(20080120) running on my system as well, I got
>> the same result. I saw HVR-1950 usb device from proc's usb/device, but
>> usb_probe_interface was not called. Do I miss something here?
>

> Do you have the fx2 firmware in the correct location? (usually /lib/firmware/ )
>
> If you don't have the firmware yet, you can download it from here:
>
> http://steventoth.net/linux/hvr1950/v4l-pvrusb2-73xxx-01.fw
>
> Eventually, the firmware extractions scripts will be updated for the hvr1950, but you can use this link in the meanwhile.
>

> If you're having trouble getting the driver to build and install correctly, this is the exact procedure that I recommend:
>
> hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
> cd v4l-dvb
> make
> sudo make install
> sudo make unload
> sudo modprobe pvrusb2
>
> If that doesnt work for you, first try rebooting your machine.  If it still doesn't work, please respond with full `dmesg` output and let me know what linux distro you are using.

...on a second thought, it would be better to use Mike Isely's pvrusb2 mercurial repository, rather than the master branch.

instead of using "http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb"  using "http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2".

Also, if you dont have "hg" (mercurial) available, then you can download a tarball from the following link:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2/archive/tip.tar.bz2

Good Luck,

Mike Krufky