[pvrusb2] Hauppauge HVR 1950

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat May 17 21:19:26 CDT 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Tina Ning wrote:

> I tried v4l-dvb latest version on my system with HVR1950 plugged in (I
> put all of modules inside /lib/modules/xxxx/extra folder), and added
> "inmod pvrusb2.ko" in my startup scripts. From the log,
> usb_register_driver was called, but not usb_probe_interface. When I
> checked the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices", it showed HVR-1950's
> "   driver=(None)". Do I need to insert other modules from v4l-dvb
> package?

If you use modprobe instead of insmod, then (assuming that depmod -a had
been run first to reanalyze the dependencies) the needed dependencies
will be automatically inserted for you.  But I see two other problems.

First, the driver doesn't call into the USB core when a device appears.
Rather, the USB core calls into the driver.  When the pvrusb2 driver
calls usb_register(), it passes in a structure through that call that
specifies a table of USB IDs which the driver can handle along with a
callback to be executed when such a described device is discovered by
the USB core.  The call that will result is pvr_probe() in
pvrusb2-main.c.  However it might be easier simply to watch the kernel
log (i.e. run dmesg) and see if there are driver messages when it tries
to initialize a device.

Second, without the correct FX2 firmware installed, the driver is *not*
going to successfully initialize the device.  (However you should still
see messages in the system log up to the point where the driver fails to
find the FX2 firmware).  The FX2 firmware is the operating environment
for the microcontroller in the device which is responsible for ALL
communication and control between the device's hardware and the Linux
system.  So without that, nothing is going to work.  In particular, the
pvrusb2 driver will not cause anything to appear under /dev (e.g.
/dev/video0) until the hardware has been fully initialized.  So, without
the FX2 firmware you should see some messages in the system log where
the driver tries (and fails) to initialize the hardware but that is
about all you will see.

> I tried standalone package(20080120) running on my system as well, I got
> the same result. I saw HVR-1950 usb device from proc's usb/device, but
> usb_probe_interface was not called. Do I miss something here?

The FX2 firmware is definitely a critical missing piece for you.

You can right now try the firmware image that Krufky pointed you at.
I'm sure that will work.  Tomorrow I will see about getting fwextract.pl
updated appropriately.

isely @ pobox (dot) com