[pvrusb2] Feature Misconception of HVR-1950?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat May 17 21:40:07 CDT 2008

On Thu, 15 May 2008, roger wrote:

> Thanks for clarifying this up.  I didn't realize 1080 was 1920x1080.
> For some reason, thought something like less then 1280x1024.  I hope we
> can trigger a switch within the box to show 1024x768 on live playback.
> I'm assuming we can at this point.

No, that won't help.  If the source material is 1080i then the incoming
resolution simply *is* 1920x1080.  Even if you display that 1920x1080 on
a lower resolution screen (which is what 720p native HDTVs will do),
then somebody still has to decimate the video down to the target
resolution.  But you *still* have to decode the mpeg2 stream as
1920x1080 first and then scale it down.  Thus the mpeg2 decode overhead
doesn't change and somebody has to spend cycles to scale the video
(probably / hopefully the GPU).

> I don't plan on upgrading for still another few years.  VIM still seems
> to run find on my 2x750P3 box here, as well as my P3 1Ghz laptop. :-/
>
> I'm sure I'm not the other one who's only need is VIM. But, I'm guessing
> you had to buy the 2Ghz for Emacs. ;-)

Ha.  Nice.  Sorry but these days the demands of emacs are trivial
compared to just about everything else.  Well except maybe vi.

isely @ pobox (dot) com