[pvrusb2] Feature Misconception of HVR-1950?

roger roger at eskimo.com
Sat May 17 23:27:29 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 21:40 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008, roger wrote:
>

> > Thanks for clarifying this up.  I didn't realize 1080 was 1920x1080.
> > For some reason, thought something like less then 1280x1024.  I hope we
> > can trigger a switch within the box to show 1024x768 on live playback.
> > I'm assuming we can at this point.
>
> No, that won't help.  If the source material is 1080i then the incoming
> resolution simply *is* 1920x1080.  Even if you display that 1920x1080 on
> a lower resolution screen (which is what 720p native HDTVs will do),
> then somebody still has to decimate the video down to the target
> resolution.  But you *still* have to decode the mpeg2 stream as
> 1920x1080 first and then scale it down.  Thus the mpeg2 decode overhead
> doesn't change and somebody has to spend cycles to scale the video
> (probably / hopefully the GPU).

ARGH!  Now this *finally* makes sense to me.  I was thinking the
resizing could be done via the remote hardware via software switch.  Now
I realize the resolution is statically set within the broadcasted MPEG
stream.  The hardware must pull in at the static 1920x1080.  Resizing
can't obviously be done on board the remote device, unless it also has a
large CPU.

Thanks mike for clarifying this as well. <bummer>

It more then likely looks I will definitely look into the remote PVR
option myself within the future sometime.  But then again, the above
discussion was for live tv and not just simply recording for later
viewing.  Just recording probably has similar cpu usage we see with the
older pvrusb2 devices.

> > I don't plan on upgrading for still another few years.  VIM still seems
> > to run find on my 2x750P3 box here, as well as my P3 1Ghz laptop. :-/
> >
> > I'm sure I'm not the other one who's only need is VIM. But, I'm guessing
> > you had to buy the 2Ghz for Emacs. ;-)
>
> Ha.  Nice.  Sorry but these days the demands of emacs are trivial
> compared to just about everything else.  Well except maybe vi.
>
>   -Mike

;-)

--
Roger