[pvrusb2] What are critical params inside sysfs setting when using mplayer to verify PVRUSB2 driver is working

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue May 20 08:33:06 CDT 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Tina Ning wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I installed v4l-dvb package to my Linux 2.6.23 Fedora.
> When I ran "mplayer /dev/video0", I didn't see any
> video shown up inside Mplayer for Hauppauge HVR 1950.
> I set ctl_frequency/cur_val to 55250000,
> ctl_video_standard_mask_active/cur_val to NTSC-M, it
> didn't help. I knew frequency 55250000 working since
> my WinTVPVRUSB2(24xxx) ran mplayer and video was
> showing up.
>
> Do I miss any settings inside sysfs to make mplayer
>  to tune a frequency? How can I verify/know if HVR
> 1950 is working?
>
> I attached my dmesg when I plugged HVR1950.

What did you use for the FX2 firmware?

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is you might have the RF
coax on the wrong connector.  Just try the other one for the heck of it.
The driver should force the device to analog mode when you run mplayer
in this manner.

When debugging problems like this, I try a divide-and-conquer approach.
Do you have a source of composite video like a VCR, camcorder or DVD
player available?  Trying plugging in a device like that, switching the
input to composite and see if mplayer can show a signal.  If it can,
then the issue has to be with the RF tuning.  If it can't then there is
something more basic going on.

  -Mike

p.s.

Yes, I still have to update fwextract.pl.  I didn't get a chance to do
it last Sunday, but it is high up on my priority list.  (This is why I
am asking about what you used for the FX2 firmware.)

isely @ pobox (dot) com