[pvrusb2] New fwextract.pl - for HVR-1950

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri May 23 01:45:23 CDT 2008

I've updated fwextract.pl to recognize firmware found in this driver
package:

  http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/install_cd/cd_4.5a.zip

The new fwextract.pl can be directly retrieved from here:

  http://www.isely.net/downloads/fwextract.pl

Of course the next driver snapshot will also include the updated
extractor.

You will need this updated extractor if you have the new HVR-1950 device
and want to use it in Linux.  Though the pvrusb2 driver coming up in
2.6.26 should handle the device, you still need to extract the firmware
files from Hauppauge's driver package.  The procedure is simple; it is
the same as it has always been (and documented on the pvrusb2 web page),
however you'll get a different name for the FX2 firmware.  The new
device uses different FX2 firmware so the file has a new name.  It will
be obvious.

I know I said I would get this done last Sunday.  I don't run Windows XP
here; up until now I've flat-out managed to avoid that DRM-infected
thing.  However Hauppauge's HVR-1950 driver won't work in Windows 2000
so I had to at least temporarily configure an XP box here before I could
run the manual extraction process.  Oh joy.  Complicating matters
further, the decode_log program failed to identify the cx25840 firmware
in the snoop output so I had to use a more creative means to get a
training sample of that firmware.  (Then I discovered later that this
particular firmware is already in the driver snapshot as its own
trivially extracted file, after discovering and fixing a bug in
fwextract.pl's training logic which prevented that trivial case from
being recognized.)  So it took me until tonight to get all this cleaned
up.

I don't have an official Hauppauge driver CD here, but it's probably a
safe bet that what I grabbed from their site should match.  So in
theory, fwextract.pl should also work when used on the CD packaged with
the device (it's worked this way in the past).  If someone could post a
confirmation of that here, it would be very helpful for others.

Anyway, enjoy.

  -Mike

p.s.

Now maybe I should get the pvrusb2 documentation updated for the
HVR-1950.  There's a bunch of new stuff that needs to be described.

isely @ pobox (dot) com