[pvrusb2] PAL-Plus support

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Nov 7 10:49:56 CST 2008

yOn Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Carsten Meier wrote:

> Am Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:16:22 -0600 (CST)
> schrieb Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:
>
> > That would seem to suggest low odds that the cx25843 chip could ever
> > support this.
>
> Ok, thanks for your effort.
> Is the Wide-Screen-Signaling (again wikipedia to avoid confusion:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen_signaling ) supported by this
> driver and is there a way to get those infos out of the produced
> MPEG-stream or any other interface?

The WSS information described in the wikipedia page refers to additional
bits encoded in the frame - in the vertical blanking interval.  This is
an example of VBI - which the driver doesn't currently support
unfortunately.

WSS information in the mpeg stream is a different sort of animal, but
the mpeg encoder will include that as part of the byte stream.  By
default it emits "4:3", but you can use a sysfs control to adjust it.
That's the video_aspect control I had mentioned earlier.  This control
should also be available in the normal V4L API via the mpeg-specific V4l
extended controls.

isely @ pobox (dot) com