[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 timeout?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Nov 8 14:33:03 CST 2008

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Dan Bodoh wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> > Nope, none of those should have any impact / influence on the driver at
> > all.
> >
> > However the pvrusb2 driver in kernel 2.6.24 is fairly old by today's
> > standards.  No, I don't know of any changes since then that could help /
> > hurt what you are seeing.
>
> Maybe what I'll do is grab the latest from your site and build it.
>
> I could try to add some extra logging to catch more info about this error.
>
> Mythtv errors out on the select() system call.  Can you point me to
> the entry point into the pvrusb2 driver for the select() call?

Take a look at pvr2_v4l2_poll(), however keep in mind that you're
talking about select() not read() so this is not a blocking entry point.

When you first raised this issue, the behavior was due to seemingly
permanent stalls in the streaming (as opposed to very short transient
pauses).  That's a real problem but honestly unless the transmitting
station goes off the air, the signal is otherwise disrupted, or the
device gets spontaneously reset, then this should not ever happen.

In the previous thread, only one other person reported the problem - and
he noted that the behavior changed when his A/C was kept turned off
(which suggests the spontaneous reset scenario due to power glitches).
If it's any of those cases then nothing in the driver can be done to
deal with it - the device can't continue to stream if it gets hammered
by power hits or loses the signal source.

isely @ pobox (dot) com