[pvrusb2] Can't get Hauppauge HVR-1950 to work

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Nov 13 22:37:36 CST 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Lars Maersk wrote:

> Thank you, Yusik!!
>
> Upgrading the kernel solved the problem on the digital side. I still have
> the issue on the analog side. (Can't play more than 5 mins without frames
> starting to break).

Yes, for the digital tuning problem you likely got bit by the recent
instability there in v4l-dvb.

For the analog side, well that's interesting.  I normally don't use
mplayer in that manner but now that you've pointed it out I'll play
around with it and see what happens.  It would good to verify this and
add it as a documented means to use the driver.

Generally for just testing the driver I run mplayer in its "dumb" mode
and use the driver's sysfs interface to tune it.  That method is known
to work well.  Another known good method which works entirely inside of
a single app is to use xawtv.  And of course there's mythtv, but that
isn't really a very good choice if one is just trying to verify the
hardware or the driver.

Another thing you can do is this:

1. Use sysfs to tune the card to a known good analog frequency

2. cat /dev/video0 >/tmp/foo.mpg

3. Use your favorite media player to play back /tmp/foo.mpg

That approach has the advantage of reproducibility and it separates
issues involving the media player with issues involving the pvrusb2
driver.  Obviously this is not something you'd want to routinely do but
it's a good tool to help diagnose problems.

Have you looked at the usage web page for the driver?  Try here:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html

isely @ pobox (dot) com