[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080831

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 13:48:47 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:

> A new pvrusb2 driver snapshot is available.  Changes include:
>  (+) Plumbing added to support cropping.  Note that this will only
>      work if corresponding support exists and works in cx25840.ko or
>      saa7115.ko (depending on the device you have).  Credit to
>      Servaas Vandenberghe for laying the groundwork for this.  Access
>      is implemented for both the normal V4L ioctl interface published
>      by the driver and sysfs.

Do you know if this is in v4l-dvb yet and what I would have to get to
implement it?
I added a new tuner card and had to go to the 2.6.26.5-28.fc8 kernel
to get a new enough
set of modules to run it. Now, the last version of your driver that
did not have the
extra vertical shift won't compile and I have to use the newest one
that shifts the capture window
and shows more of the vertical interval.

I remember in a message many months ago:

>Vertical center adjustment is needed for newer encoder firmwares.
>These capture too late and add 2 black lines at the bottom.  E.g.
>
>echo -2 >ctl_crop_top/cur_val  #shifts the window up.
>
>The approach should work for any system but is as yet untested for
>broadcast M ntsc.

The above is present but does not work

It gives a "bash: echo: write error: Numerical result out of range"
error with a negative number and a positive number give no error, but
it does not actually change it.

I can install the video4linux-ivtv and video4linux kmdls from atrpms
but they seem to be older than
the modules in  2.6.26.5-28.fc8, give errors and don't show
ctl_crop_top at all. They are from a
20080622 snapshot and I expect have an older cx25840 module than the kernel has.

Otherwise it works fine, but the vertical and horizontal shift would be nice.

Mark Goldberg