[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080831

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:17:35 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>> I  looked at all the old messages and got the whole latest vrl-dvb
>> using mercurial.
>>
>> The patch works with some offsets for cx25840-core.c.
>>
>> The stuff that was patched in cx25840-vbi.c has been
>> moved into cx25840-core.c and looks like it is already changed.
>>
>> But, it will not compile with an error:
> Unfortunately you and I are in the same boat with respect to that
> module.  I don't maintain that module so anything I submit related to it
> is not very "deep" (just simple obvious fixes, like the FWSEND business
> a while back).  If it helps I can do some work to trace its history in
> order to help with merging code.  But this is a complex part and
> understanding its behavior is not at all easy even with the datasheet -
> so I am not in a good position to prove in the correctness of these
> patches :-( Others on this list may be in better shape to do that.
>
>  -Mike
I spend most of the day at it, but, not being very good at wound up giving up.

I did figure out how to get the kernel tree for my running kernel and
rebuild that one module
against the running kernel instead of as a new kernel and installed it
into the running kernel
replacing the existing module. I then hard coded the vertical and
horizontal offsets to make
things center up. Everything works but I ran out of time trying to get
the full crop patch to apply to the
current version of the module. The patches for my change are simple,
just changing a few constants.
I think it would be difficult to try to track the status of the module
and continuously update the full patch
to add the crop controls. I've got a simple script that I run when I
update the kernel from the fedora
repository that patches a few things and compiles a few modules
against that kernel and replaces
the standard modules. It only takes a few minutes. If I take the
system down for more than that,
I get yelled at.

Hopefully the changes will make it into the module, and then into the kernel.

Do you know what process is used to reduce the size of the modules?
When I compile a module it
is several hundred kilobytes. The same modules that come with Fedora
are a few tens of kilobytes.
Do they use strip to get rid of debug info? I could not find
documentation about that anywhere?
I don't even know if it is a fedora thing or a generic thing.

Mark