[pvrusb2] How good is support for HVR-1950?

roger roger at eskimo.com
Sun Oct 26 22:55:58 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 18:35 -0500, roccomoretti wrote:
> I'm looking for a good ATSC+NTSC tuner, and trying to avoid any
> "gotchas" after purchasing.  The linuxtv.org wiki lists the Hauppauge
> HVR-1950 as a "Supported ATSC USB Device", but doesn't have a subpage
> about it. The pvrusb2 site makes it sound promising, but I'm wary after
> encountering too many "It works ... (but, oh, yeah, significant features
> X, Y, and Z don't)" type situations on other sites.

Just a quick initial response while you await Mike's response.  (He's
probably sleeping on the job again. ;-)

>From what I heard, HVR-1950 support is already in the kernel and
supposedly working to a certain extent.

If you're curious about whether or not Mike delivers (on his word), he
does.  The pvrusb2 driver worked way better then the windows driver
almost to the day the device hit the market. (Maybe several mos. after
words, but I think you get what I'm saying here.)  Basically put,
pvrusb2 has been really rock solid & oops free during it's entire
history.  The only really major bug I'm aware of was just the latest
kernel release with rmmod, but we've got a quick and straight
work-around.

Right now, my major concern is using this device on a 2x750P3 box.  From
what Mike's said, you can easily record, but can't play live 1080i from
the box (for obvious reasons).

Oops.  Looks like he's awake.

Interesting, the digital stream is just pasted through to the kernel
level DVB.

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html