[pvrusb2] hauppauge wintv pvr usb2

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Aug 16 15:15:00 CDT 2009

sylvain arbour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a reboot of the computer the driver seem to be loaded correctly.
> I still have no image at all.  ex: cat /dev/video0 > test.mpeg - give me
> an empty file.  If I plug the cable on an old tv this is working.  Is
> that possible to the cable distributor to prevent diffusion on a PVR
> device ?  It seem to me that the problem is not a driver installation
> issue ?   Is the problem is a file access right ? (ext4 instead
> ext3)...

Sorry I didn't reply to this right away.  I saw the last paragraph and
had interpreted it to mean that you were done, but I should still try to
answer these questions.  I saw this again while cleaning out old e-mail.
  So for what it's worth...

You will get a zero length file if encoding simply didn't start.
Looking in your kernel message log at that point might shed more
information on this.  Maybe.  You likely won't get a stream if the
device failed to tune the right channel (no video lock can mean no data).

No, it isn't possible for the cable distributor to specifically prevent
your use of the PVR device.  If you can record the channel with a VCR
then you should be able to capture it with your pvrusb2-driven tuner.

File system type should not matter at all.  The /dev area is normally a
different mount point anyway (in debian it's tmpfs, managed by udev).
Your target (test.mpeg) of course is sitting in ext3 (or ext4), but
really if you can't cat something into a file then there are bigger
problems afoot than the pvrusb2 driver :-)

I might have asked this before, but are you sure you are tuning the
right frequency?  With the cat command you tried it's just going to tune
to whatever the last frequency was that you set (usually I use the sysfs
interface to set that frequency).  Can you get it to work using the
composite input feeding from a VCR or DVD player?  If so, then pretty
much everything is working and the only question left is the RF tuner
(e.g. is it on the right frequency, is the RF tuner's driver working
correctly, etc).

> Any how - when I get access to a windows/xp system and / or an external
> hard drive- I will do the test you suggested.   Thanks a lot for your
> help and time!

Any progress with those?