[pvrusb2] s5h1411 errors

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Aug 27 15:26:20 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 09:29 -0400, Michael Krufky wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Roger<rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 15:14 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> >> About a month ago, I sent out the message below.  Best I can tell is
> >> that I got a reply from only ONE person.  Is nobody else seeing this?
> >>
> >>   -Mike
> >
> > Might want to rephrase to, "Anybody have the hvr-1950 using the s5h1411
> > kernel module and not seeing these errors?"
> >

> > Just for kicks, you want me to send you my firmwares, or send me yours
> > to verify it's not bad firmwares?  I doubt it though as I believe i used
> > the perl script from the pvrusb2 tarball, and they do load without
> > problems on cold boot & hvr-1950 cold boot.
>
> This is probably not a real issue.  If you're still seeing this
> problem, can you post your full dmesg, un edited, containing device
> usb insertion, repro of the problem, analog streaming *and* digital
> streaming?

I'm stilling seeing this with git 2.6.31 sources.  I will integrate
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG & post my results when I get a chance this week (for
device usb insertion?).  I had both i2c debug & a wealth of kernel
hacking debug turned on in >2.6.30 kernel hacking lately and didn't get
any more debug output then a possible circular locking dependency that I
recently posted.

Also, digital & analog streaming of the device are completely flaky when
the computer is rebooted with the hvr-1950 device still having preloaded
firmware from the last boot.  Or, more precisely put, the device's
analog & digital devices are completely inoperable, even if their device
files are shown in /dev.

A cold boot along with power cycling the HVR-1950 has usually been the
only resolve.

> Regards,
>
> Mike Krufky

Just a quick note here, I noticed you're listed within the top five
developers committing to the Linux Kernel.  This was published by a
recent Linux Kernel news article detailing top submitters.  A *big*
thank you, else I'd be stuck complaining about MS Windows a lot more
then I have done in the past. ;-)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org