[pvrusb2] s5h1411 errors

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Thu Aug 27 08:29:14 CDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Roger<rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 15:14 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
>> About a month ago, I sent out the message below.  Best I can tell is
>> that I got a reply from only ONE person.  Is nobody else seeing this?
>>
>>   -Mike
>
> Might want to rephrase to, "Anybody have the hvr-1950 using the s5h1411
> kernel module and not seeing these errors?"
>

> Just for kicks, you want me to send you my firmwares, or send me yours
> to verify it's not bad firmwares?  I doubt it though as I believe i used
> the perl script from the pvrusb2 tarball, and they do load without
> problems on cold boot & hvr-1950 cold boot.

This is probably not a real issue.  If you're still seeing this
problem, can you post your full dmesg, un edited, containing device
usb insertion, repro of the problem, analog streaming *and* digital
streaming?

No need to label the parts within the log -- I will be able to tell
what sequence of events are taking place.

and of course, I will need to know your kernel version and whether
you're building from the v4l-dvb hg repository or the pvrusb2 svn
tree.

...if you're using the pvrusb2 svn tree against an older kernel, I
suspect this issue may be resolved by trying out the v4l-dvb tree...
Beware, however, use of the v4l-dvb tree mayscrew up future pvrusb2
svn builds -- to fix that simply reinstall your kernel package.

*without* seeing the dmesg, I can assume that the dvb_frontend thread
is sleeping the demod after the pvrusb2 driver changes to analog mode,
yanking power away from the demod, resulting in the i2c error...  If
that's the case, the issue is harmless, although it would be nice to
fully understand it.

Regards,

Mike Krufky