[pvrusb2] Some MPEG-controls questions

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 26 06:02:04 CST 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009 10:51:24 Carsten Meier wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> now I'm allowing users to change all controls on a channel-switch,
> including MPEG ones. (To make the filter-controls accessible) Is it save
> to change e.g. V4L2_CID_MPEG_VIDEO_BITRATE_PEAK during streaming? If I
> change it during streaming video to vlc through the sysfs-interface,
> vlc crashes. But I don't know if this is due to a corrupted stream or
> just a bug in vlc. Is it save to change even the stream type? Or should
> I better stop and restart streaming on a channel-switch due to possible
> stream-parameter changes?

Looking at the code pvrusb2 is supposed to remember the change but only
apply it the next time a capture is started. A lot of these properties
cannot be modified on the fly. I'm not entirely sure whether pvrusb2 takes
the correct approach by remembering the change for the next time. ivtv for
example just returns -EBUSY.

How pvrusb2 handles these requests when they come from the sysfs interface,
that's something Mike can answer.

> Another less important question: What is meant by "audio emphasis"?

audio emphasis: Filtering applied to an audio signal before storage or
transmission to improve the signal-to-noise ratio at high frequencies.

It's part of the MPEG specification, but normally this is always set to
None.

I've tried to find out when the other emphasis options might be used, but it
is hard to get decent information on that. I know I read something about
this in the past, but I can't remember where. It would actually be useful
if someone knows more about this so that I can improve the v4l2
specification.

Regards,

	Hans