[pvrusb2] Hvr-1950 + FiOS STB

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 6 20:23:36 CST 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, fivenote wrote:

> This part (the remote) I actually got working.
>
> I'm running ubuntu intrepid and did this...
>
> * install lircd with deb package lirc
>
> * put an lircrc file in my home dir. This maps remote buttons to
> actions in different player apps. In ubuntu I installed
> mythbuntu-lirc-generator. It puts a whole bunch of include files for
> different apps in a big lircrc.
>
> If you're on another distro, the actual may be different, but
> basically similar.

That should be basically right.  IR reception is handled almost
completely by the LIRC package; the only tricky part is selecting the
correctly underlying IR driver.  Unfortunately the correct answer to
"which driver" depends a lot on the specific hardware you have.  But for
all HVR-1950's the answer should be the same.  I don't remember the
exact driver needed, but if you have it working on your system, do an
lsmod and look for any modules with "lirc" in the same.  There will be
at least one, and that corresponds to what you need.  Post that here and
it will help others.  (I'm also pretty sure this is mentioned in the
list archive from roughly last summer, if anyone cares to check.)

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:51 PM, greg pryzby <greg at pryzby.org> wrote:
> > I am able to connect hd stb to the 1950 and get channels over
> > composite and. SVideo.
> >
> > Now I want to use the remote it came with to change the channel on the
> > STB. I haven't found directions on how to do this.
> >
> > Anyone have this working and/or have directions they can share?

FYI, the pvrusb2 driver in this case is just a conduit for communicating
with the physical IR receiver.  It's LIRC that actually implements the
control protocol to the part.

isely @ pobox (dot) com