[pvrusb2] driver status / update

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jan 14 12:16:23 CST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Bjorn Danielsson wrote:

> Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> >[...]
> > Hmm, audio isn't working.  I just also tried a 29xxx (with
> > saa7115+msp3400) and audio is OK there, so there's still something else
> > apparently broken involving the pvrusb2 driver and cx25840.  However
> > this whole thing still is an improvement over what's there now so I'm
> > posting the pull request anyway.  I will do more digging on the audio
> > problem tonight.
>
> I tried your linuxtv.org snapshot on my 24xxx. No audio as you said,
> and I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I noticed that the
> value of
>
> /sys/class/pvrusb2/*/ctl_audio_modes_present/cur_val
>
> was "Mono" when it should have been "Stereo".

That's actually consistent with another clue I had noticed.  The dump of
log output of the cx25840 driver suggests that it's having trouble
detecting the audio format (and thus defaulting to "mono").  There could
be several possible causes for this; at this point I don't know yet if
this is an actual cx25840 bug, a miscommunication between cx25840 and
pvrusb2 or perhaps a latent issue in the pvrusb2 driver which only
surfaced now because of changes in cx25840.  The bug I found last night
wasn't in cx25840, but rather the framework that it was recently
converted over to use.

> (this was on top of a 2.6.27.9 kernel)

I've been testing this week on top of 2.6.27.10.

isely @ pobox (dot) com