[pvrusb2] driver status / update

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jan 14 21:25:30 CST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Carsten Meier wrote:

> Am Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:00:42 -0600 (CST)
> schrieb Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:
> > I looked at the bus_info question, and I've been convinced.  I've
> > made a change now that puts the driver serial number into the
> > bus_info V4L capability field.
>
> Cool. Thanks a lot.

Bad news.  The v4l-dvb maintainer has rejected the patch that enabled
putting the driver serial number into the bus_info field.  His reasoning
is the same as what I had previously given when you first asked.

So now you need to convince him, not me.  I've already pointed him at
the earlier discussion thread.

I *think* there may be another way to solve this, but it won't be
anywhere near as straight-forward for the user app and it will require
an additional driver change.  Basically, if the driver can make the
device serial number visible to udev, then you could theoretically use
the previous bus_info field value to find udev's device node for the
driver instance under /sys and then pull the serial number from there.
Note that I am NOT talking about /sys/class/pvrusb2; this is a different
sort of animal.  The problem with this approach right now however is
that the serial number is not available to udev.

A long while back I tried to figure out how to get the serial number
visible to udev.  I think it might be a matter of attaching a kobject
with the relevant data to a particular spot, but when I researched this
way back, I came up empty.  It makes sense for the mechanism to exist -
it has to be there somewhere.  But without understanding how to do it, I
can't do much about it yet :-(

isely @ pobox (dot) com