[pvrusb2] driver status / update

Carsten Meier cm at trexity.de
Thu Jan 15 06:50:36 CST 2009

Am Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:25:30 -0600 (CST)
schrieb Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Carsten Meier wrote:
>
> > Am Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:00:42 -0600 (CST)
> > schrieb Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:
> > > I looked at the bus_info question, and I've been convinced.  I've
> > > made a change now that puts the driver serial number into the
> > > bus_info V4L capability field.
> >
> > Cool. Thanks a lot.
>
> Bad news.  The v4l-dvb maintainer has rejected the patch that enabled
> putting the driver serial number into the bus_info field.  His
> reasoning is the same as what I had previously given when you first
> asked.
>
> So now you need to convince him, not me.  I've already pointed him at
> the earlier discussion thread.

*sigh*. Got any reply for it yet?

> I *think* there may be another way to solve this, but it won't be
> anywhere near as straight-forward for the user app and it will
> require an additional driver change.  Basically, if the driver can
> make the device serial number visible to udev, then you could
> theoretically use the previous bus_info field value to find udev's
> device node for the driver instance under /sys and then pull the
> serial number from there. Note that I am NOT talking
> about /sys/class/pvrusb2; this is a different sort of animal.  The
> problem with this approach right now however is that the serial
> number is not available to udev.
>
> A long while back I tried to figure out how to get the serial number
> visible to udev.  I think it might be a matter of attaching a kobject
> with the relevant data to a particular spot, but when I researched
> this way back, I came up empty.  It makes sense for the mechanism to
> exist - it has to be there somewhere.  But without understanding how
> to do it, I can't do much about it yet :-(

I have to admit that my knowledge about udev ranges from little to
nothing so I can't say anything about this. Should I start a new thread
about "Identifying video-USB-devices" on the v4l-mailing-list? But then
I need a bit of help because I don't know much about udev. (The
bus_info-solution is much more elegant I think, and now this field
becomes completely useless)

Carsten