[pvrusb2] No changels over channel 13 on Hauppauge WinTV-1950 on latest drivers

mike ingardia mike.ingardia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 16:29:55 CST 2009

Hello,
I just recently joined the list, and have seen Mike talking about
problems and issues with latest drivers etc, but I am unclear if what I
am seeing is the same thing or not.

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 with the 2.6.27_11 kernel ( saw a post where
some fixes might have been applied to the 2.6.27_10 kernel that seemed
to be a similar issue ).  I have the latest pvrusb driver installed (
20090115 ) and have video and audio coming in under MythTV for channels
1-13.   I just purchased the 1950 semi based upon the website saying
linux would support it, so its pretty new.   For any channel above 13
 ( I am not sure but I suspect those are digital channels ).  I have made sure a few times
that I am using the Cable frequencies and not on air in the myth backend
set up. I get no reception, however Myth's backend does detect these
channels with signal coming in on them.  Wintv on the same box works
with  no problems under windows ( and even under Virtual Box ), but I
was hoping to get Myth working with this device.  Also setting the
channel to a high channel and using mplayer to view the stream similarly
provides no video or audio while on the channels 1-12 mplayer works
well.  XawTv, and TVTime both do not work however at all, TVTime
complains with "invalid argument" can not open capture device
/dev/video0 and XavTv simply just does not work.

Are the fixes that are being talked about in recent postings dealing
with this or a contributing issue or is this a different one.  Happy to
help if I can be a tester or in what ever capacity or if you have advice on how to get the higher channels working

Thanks
Mike...