[pvrusb2] No changels over channel 13 on Hauppauge WinTV-1950 on latest drivers

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jan 17 18:19:04 CST 2009

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, mike ingardia wrote:

> Hello,
> I just recently joined the list, and have seen Mike talking about
> problems and issues with latest drivers etc, but I am unclear if what I
> am seeing is the same thing or not.

The issues from last week were due to breakage / changes in cx25840 that
impacted the pvrusb2 driver.  That's all fixed now in v4l-dvb, and those
issues were caught before that had a chance to escape into a released
stable (not -rcX version) kernel.

> I am running Ubuntu 8.10 with the 2.6.27_11 kernel ( saw a post where
> some fixes might have been applied to the 2.6.27_10 kernel that seemed
> to be a similar issue ).  I have the latest pvrusb driver installed (
> 20090115 ) and have video and audio coming in under MythTV for channels
> 1-13.   I just purchased the 1950 semi based upon the website saying
> linux would support it, so its pretty new.   For any channel above 13
>  ( I am not sure but I suspect those are digital channels ).  I have
> made sure a few times that I am using the Cable frequencies and not on
> air in the myth backend set up. I get no reception, however Myth's
> backend does detect these channels with signal coming in on them.
> Wintv on the same box works with no problems under windows ( and even
> under Virtual Box ), but I was hoping to get Myth working with this
> device.  Also setting the channel to a high channel and using mplayer
> to view the stream similarly provides no video or audio while on the
> channels 1-12 mplayer works well.  XawTv, and TVTime both do not work
> however at all, TVTime complains with "invalid argument" can not open
> capture device /dev/video0 and XavTv simply just does not work.

Please read the usage page:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html

Right now tvtime cannot work, and xawtv will only work if it is the
right version and has been built with mpeg2 support.  The above page
describes this, so rather than detailing it here, see that page.

> Are the fixes that are being talked about in recent postings dealing
> with this or a contributing issue or is this a different one.  Happy
> to help if I can be a tester or in what ever capacity or if you have
> advice on how to get the higher channels working

The pvrusb2 driver cannot generally do something that would work on one
set of frequencies and not another.  If you are able to get any channels
at all, then the pvrusb2 driver and the hardware are fine.  I know you
said you checked this, but this sounds A LOT like an incorrect frequency
table is being used in the application (mythtv).  Another remote
possibility is that the tuner driver (the part that actually programs
the RF tuner portion of the hardware, not pvrusb2 itself) is having a
problem, but since this is the first I've heard of it from anyone it
seems more likely that you're just using an incorrect frequency table.

isely @ pobox (dot) com