[pvrusb2] no video...

roccomoretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Wed Jan 21 10:03:50 CST 2009

Dhimiter Bozo wrote:
> hi Mike,i've connected the coaxial out from the cable box to the back of the
> tv and that works. when i connect the cable box coaxial cable to the capture
> card that does not work. i've even bypassed using mplayer and tried it
> straight with VLC but no luck. i'm not really sure what you mean when you
> say: "Seems like you are just not operating
> it correctly with the cable box or that your cable box is doing
> something you don't expect."i have cablevision and the box is
> from scientific atlanta explorer 4250HD. in the back it has hdmi out,
> component out, and coaxial in and out. I've connected the tv to both, hdmi
> and coaxial out and both outputs work. when i plug coaxial out in the
> capture card i get just snow flakes, no sound even. could it be that the
> capture card is not compatible with this cable box? or maybe there is
> something about the output format from the cable box that tripping the
> capture card. i'm not very familiar with this hardware so it's hard to debug
> it.

When you hook your cable box to the TV, what channel is the TV itself
set to? Not the cable box, the TV itself. Sometimes cableboxes/VCRs/DVD
players ram everything through a single channel (usually 3 or 4). If
you're telling pvrusb2 to tune channel 37, but the cablebox is taking
care of the tuning and then re-coding everything to channel 4, you're
not going to see anything when pvrusb2 tunes to channel 37 - you'd need
to tell it to tune to channel 4 instead (and all your channel changing
would need to be handled through the cable box - e.g. you'll probably
need an IR blaster).